Community led conservation – Join our team
Our supporters and volunteers are what make this project a success.
They have different skills in many different fields, including:
- Pest control / trapping
- Wasp control
- Field work
- Ecological restoration
- Kiwi monitoring
- Kiwi call listening
- Bird monitoring and survey
- Leadership and management
If you want to get involved we currently need volunteers for the following roles:
- Pest control / trapping – Help the Trust maintain (and hopefully expand!) our network of trap lines and bait stations throughout Ōhope, Mokorua Bush and Kohi Point Scenic Reserves.
- Wasp Control – Help with our Queen Wasp control programme by laying non-toxic bait in traps and recording wasp catches.
- Ecological restoration – Help with removing invasive pest plants and trees from our reserves, and replanting with native species (funding permitting).
- Fundraising – The Whakatāne Kiwi Trust runs on funding grants from partner organisations and sponsorship from commercial businesses and individuals. Help us secure new funding sources so we can keep expanding on the work that we do!
- Education – Help us with educational work including our Kiwi Tracker Walks (school groups) and Public Night Walks programmes.
- Events – Assisting at events organised by the Whakatāne Kiwi Trust and events that we support (e.g. the Toi’s Challenge). This might involve engaging with the Public, running a sausage sizzle, taking donations, being a parking marshal or baking treats to sustain the team!
- Merchandise Team Leader – Manage the clothing sold online and at events for fundraising.
If you can help in these areas please contact Lydia, our Volunteer and Events Coordinator at: firstname.lastname@example.org.